Having a well-built and reliable roof means it should be sturdy enough to withstand severe weather conditions. Any kind of problem that’s spotted on your roof during routine maintenance checks should be addressed to avoid further damage. But when harsh weather suddenly hits your area resulting in severe storm damage to your roof, what should you do?
So long as you rely on professional companies like Green Rhino Builders, you can be confident that your roof will get fixed as soon as possible. However, you still need to assess the situation first, so here’s what you need to do:
Determining if Your Roof Needs Immediate Repairs
This actually depends on how much damage your roof has actually received. Usually, when we’re called for repairs, the job is scheduled accordingly. But there are also times when the damage can be very intense and requires immediate repair, such as water actively leaking through the exposed roof structure, which will potentially affect the internal foundations and the electrical wiring. If this issue isn’t addressed, it could lead to more costly damages and even start a fire. Such cases are considered as emergencies so roof repairs are needed as soon as possible.
Keep in mind that one person’s definition of a roofing emergency may not be the same as someone else’s, especially when the roof repair would ultimately end up being very costly. But choosing to ignore the problem on your own roof will only become worse over time. A little leak erodes some insulation, which can introduce water into the wiring, which then creates a serious fire hazard.
Types of Emergency Roof Damage
Like most roofing experts, we consider it an emergency if the damage can compromise the actual structure of your roof and allow a great amount of water into your home. This isn’t just a few drops an hour, but a consistent drizzle that can saturate and cause internal damage to your roof’s structure, resulting in the growth of harmful molds.
When you see that your roof has been badly damaged to the point where you may even need a siding and window replacement, you need to keep calm and assess from the ground just how much damage was sustained. If it happened during a heavy rainstorm, make sure to call your trusted contractors so they can do the necessary roof repair services as soon as the weather becomes favorable.
Aside from severe storms, there are many different situations that could lead to roof damage and require emergency repairs. Here are some of the most common causes:
- High winds – These are strong enough to tear shingles from the roof and expose the substrate, which could then be compromised by rain.
- Tree limbs – They can be thrown into your roof by wind or lightning, and can cause significant damage. Lightning directly striking your roof can actually blow a hole in it as well.
- Wildlife – Animals, including squirrels and raccoons, are known to chew through wooden structures and create holes that can be quite large.
- Fire – This can lead to structural damage to the roof that may even make your home unsafe to enter.
What You Need to Do During an Emergency Repair Job
If you call your trusted storm damage contractors to fix the damages on your roof while the harsh weather is still ongoing, they’ll likely wait until the weather dies down. This is because a damaged roof is nearly impossible to fix while being exposed to weather conditions, such as high winds, heavy rain, snow, lightning and hail. Safety is a priority for the workers as well.
Often, roof damage appears far worse to a homeowner than it will to a professional roofer. Unexpected roof damage can also cause significant financial difficulty, so you’ll need to contact your homeowner’s insurance company as soon as possible. If you have to vacate the home as it is unsafe, your insurance company may also offer coverage for hotels or other living areas while your roof is being repaired.
Meanwhile, the insurance company will send out an adjuster who will review the damage and determine how much your claim is worth. If you think that the estimate is too low, you can get estimates from different roof repair companies and provide those to the insurance company as proof of the damage.
Also, when you choose a roofing contractor for your estimates, be sure to choose one that’s licensed and insured. Be careful of “storm chaser” companies that prey on homeowners right after severe weather events. They’ll suddenly appear in neighborhoods to try to convince homeowners to use them for repairs. The repairs are either substandard, or the company requires a large deposit. And, once they receive it, they leave the area and never perform the actual work. It’s better to get references from the company you choose and ask the contractors for proof that they are licensed as well as insured.
If your roof was damaged by other causes like a fire, then you can be certain that it will get replaced immediately. When you hire us, we’ll make sure to be very careful when we do this type of repair job because it’s still dangerous to access all areas of your fire-damaged roof when its inner structure has already been compromised.
Quick Solutions for Temporary Damage Control
When the problem is fairly small and can wait until you have the time and money for a more thorough repair, there are some quick fixes that work nicely. Here’s what we can do:
- Capping chimneys – Whether your chimneys are old or new, they can still leak. A chimney cap can be placed over the opening to stop the leak and prevent additional water damage.
- Tarping – This is where a heavy-duty tarp is laid over the area where the leak originates. One-foot by three-foot wooden planks are used to fill in obvious gaps and help to secure the edges of the tarp. Deck screws are used to keep everything in place until a more permanent fix can be arranged.
- Patching shingles – This is fairly easy and straightforward. We’ll gently remove the damaged shingles, waterproof the affected area and replace the damaged area with a similar roofing product. We’ll use ice and water shields (or any similar synthetic underlayment) to temporarily waterproof the area as well. After we have it waterproofed, we’ll provide you with some options on how to restore it as close to normal as possible. This could result in a full replacement if the roof is too old and damaged.
With Green Rhino Builders, you can be confident that your roofing and window replacement project is in the capable hands of the best company in the area. You can reach us by calling (570) 901-1334 or by filling out our convenient online contact form. Contact us today!